Skip to main content

Hang on – someone's on the line!

Phone technology and products are constantly evolving. When it comes to NonStop it too continues to evolve and remains in synch with ever-evolving enterprise needs …

Blame it on the isolation. Blame it on social distancing. Whatever the reason I have been listening to satellite radio a lot of late as I have been driving all over town doing the family chores. By way of a brief update, Margo is now well on her way to recovery following her accidental braking of her leg a few days before Christmas. All the same, I have been doing double duty keeping the house in order. Then again, irrespective of who lands a task we are both only too willing to just get things done.

On this one occasion while out and about, as I listened to the Margaretville station, on came the song One Particular Harbor and being the sailor I once was, it always tugs at my heartstrings. However, I almost forgot this verse:

I used to rule my world from a pay phone
And ships out on the sea
But now times are rough
And I got too much stuff
Can't explain the likes of me

Before tackling the topic of can’t explain the likes of me (which I don’t plan to do any time soon even as I complete yet one more trip around the sun), it’s the opening line rule my world from a pay phone that, on this occasion, got my attention. Long before cell phones came onto the scene, I had an AT&T card that allowed me to use any payphone anywhere around the planet. And I sure did come to depend upon the presence of these payphones in almost every country I visited.

Staying in touch with family and friends, let alone conducting business right out of a phone booth was such a routine part of my business life that I never gave it another thought, but now, how often do we see payphones? Remember hotel lobbies where you could find a corridor full of payphones and during the breaks in meetings and events, there was that headlong rush to grab an available phone? No longer, it seems although I continue to see the counters where they used to reside – I wonder what the younger generation makes of them?

Of course, with the global pandemic, applications like ZOOM and TEAMS have become essentially modern-day versions of the payphone as we flip open our laptops and begin conversations from almost any vantage point. But the bigger question that follows is what’s next? Do we need to be “on the phone” as much as we appear to be these days? For the NonStop community have we all made the jump to being available, non-stop?

While driving in Sydney, slowed by peak hour traffic, I once saw a convertible being driven by a man who had one of those old mobile phones to his ear when he switched hands just to pick up and answer a second mobile phone wired to his vehicle. I had to think wow, such an important captain of industry. Then again, with mobile phones, how many of us now carry two phones when on the move – separating business from pleasure.

Yes, my hair may be graying, even as the years of experience I have gained are on the rise. And yet, I am still here looking at the world of transactions and at the data being created as a result of these transactions. All of these activities with a NonStop focus, no less. It continues to amaze me how persistent the NonStop community is even as NonStop continues to reinvent itself. Once considered little more than another ubiquitous minicomputer albeit with special qualities, who would have imagined NonStop would have seen off the stage the likes of Prime, Wang, Nixdorf, Four Phase, Data General - even DEC?

As I look at the world of transactions and data I remain very impressed with the investment HPE continues to make in NonStop. In describing it’s various products HPE called out HPC & MCS as being the portfolio offering workload-optimized servers designed to support specific use cases.  This is distinct from how HPE describes its Compute organization where HPE informs us that the Compute portfolio offers both general-purpose servers for multi-workload computing and workload-optimized servers. Yes, within MCS NonStop is special.

However and this is good news for the NonStop community, it’s not just that HPE continues to invest in NonStop but rather, it is investing in a way that ensures relevance in the world of edge to cloud platform as a service derived business. Should you be looking for a cloud experience, then look no further than NonStop; virtual NonStop that is where the database takes the center stage. NonStop SQL/MX Data Base Services (DBS) has the potential for steering NonStop into having an even bigger presence in our data centers than many of us anticipated only a short time ago.

“The DBS acronym in the name stands for ‘Database Services,’” wrote HPE Master Technologist Frans Jongma, in a recent article published earlier this year. “This is a reference to what is described in the industry as Database-as-a-Service or DBaaS.” Jongma has a lot more to say on this topic in an article to be published in the March issue of NonStop Insider – look for it. You may be surprised at what the NonStop team has achieved with SQL/MX DBS. And there is even more to follow if you truly are looking for the SQL/MX Cloud Experience!

The humble payphone isn’t about to make a reappearance just as the mobile phone we once insisted on installing in our cars. The technology in support of phone connectivity is moving at a rapid clip – what comes after 5G, you may be wondering. Do we really want to view Avatar on our wrist watch? No matter, as today’s cell phones are just another iteration of computers we have elected to make accessible while “on the go.” Once called client devices or even user touch points but however you view them, they are an important link in the chain that brings transactions to NonStop. And yes, as we all now know, transactions are the important ingredient for NonStop as they create data.

Excited by what you read about NonStop today? Curious to see what new applications will leverage NonStop in the future? Will we see the facilitating of financial transactions be usurped by all types of transactions that involve the creation of a record – virtual and real? And a record that is created then saved on NonStop. I have a sense that this century’s equivalent to ticket processing is about to happen. Just saying. Have you seen how the rise of QR codes has escalated in the pandemic – think vendors aren’t modifying their business based on data gathered in real time? Hang on, I think someone is trying to reach me right now; no, let it go to messaging and maybe I’ll call.

As I continued to listen to Buffett’s song, it struck me how well it described future destinations. It wasn’t just about one particular harbor but rather, that progression from one harbor to the next, each one presenting an opportunity for safety; for less risk than the previous harbor. With each harbor visited a continued yearning for more. And perhaps that’s what NonStop has been providing for a very long time. As it met the needs of business yesterday and is meeting the needs of business today it continues to reinvent itself to meet the needs of business tomorrow.

Ever wondered why NonStop truly excelled for as long as it has even as it continues to remain in the conversation whenever real-time mission critical transaction processing is discussed? Yes, NonStop will continue to attract our attention as we move from one opportunity to the next. As for future offerings then like destinations, even now I can hear the words:

Most mysterious calling harbor
So far but yet so near
I can see the day when my hair's full gray
And I finally disappear 

After which, like Buffett himself sings, even after one more trip around the sun I can only add, “but not yet!”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it’s June then it’s time for HPE Discover 2021.

  For the NonStop community there has always been an annual event that proved hard to resist; with changing times these events are virtual – but can we anticipate change down the road? Just recently Margo and I chose to return home via US Highway 129. It may not ring any bells, but for those who prefer to call it the Tail of the Dragon – 318 curves in 11 miles – it represents the epitome of mountain excitement. For Margo and me, having now driven the tail in both directions, driving hard through all these turns never gets old. Business took us to Florida for an extended week of meetings that were mostly conversations. Not everything went to plan and we didn’t get to see some folks, but just to have an opportunity to hit the road and meet in person certainly made the 4,500 miles excursion worthwhile. The mere fact that we made touring in a roadster work for us and we were comfortable in doing so, well, that was a real trick with a car better suited to day trips. This is all just a p

Three more wishes coming soon – the path ahead for NonStop.

So, another three years have passed by and I find myself writing a preview of what I will likely focus on in eighteen months’ time – my next three wishes for NonStop! It wouldn’t be fair on my family if I said 2019 had been a routine year for Pyalla Technologies. It started with the return flight from Sydney, Australia, and continued with three separate trips to Europe plus a lengthy road trip to Las Vegas for HPE Discover 2019 combined with stops in southern California and participation in N2TUG back in Texas. The miles have added up but all the while even as the adventurous life continued to unfold, there was so much news coming out of HPE that scarcely a day passed without a discussion or two over what it all means. Margo and I have our roots firmly anchored in NonStop, dating back to Tandem Computers where Margo had risen through the development organization all the way to the COO role under the stewardship of Bill Heil when Bill headed the NonStop Software BU. As for me

ACI Strategy - it's all about choice!

I have just returned from spending a few days in Omaha attending the annual ACE Focus meeting. These two day meetings provide more in-depth technical coverage than is usually found at the regular ACI user events, and ACI customers have been coming for more than a decade to hear the messages directly from company executives. The picture I have included here is of the venue of the Wednesday night social event – a reception held at a local sports bar called the ICEHOUSE. And I found this extremely ironic as my own involvement with ACI came through my association with the ICE product. For most of the ‘90s, ACI had been the global distributor for ICE and then, as we began the new millennium, ACI purchased Insession, creating a separate business unit that it named Insession Technologies. For nearly six years, as part of ACI it enjoyed a successful partnership with the NonStop community and had provided a number of solutions in communications, web services, and security. But the decision in l