Skip to main content

It’s all a matter of passion …

When I was in high school there were the usual visits to the career guidance center. Actually, not so much a center as it was a room where a counselor would entertain students, listen to their likes and dislikes and offer some measure of guidance as to what should be considered as a possible future career path. When it came my turn it was more of a case of throwing a dart at the board. I was clueless.

However, it was during my time at Normanhurst Boys High School in suburban Sydney Australia that the first inklings of where my career might take me surfaced. Inklings, but at the time not passions, began when family friend took me to an insurance company as its first computer was being deployed. The year was 1963 and the IBM mainframe being installed was an IBM 650 - sold in the 1953-1962 period – as the IBM 360 product line really didn’t get rolling until a year or so later. I took a souvenir from that visit back to school; a white paper tape full of holes.

I kept hold of that simple roll of paper tape for a very long time. Curious about what information was contained in those rows of punched holes but I never did figure it out. Two years later, as a more mature student in Form 3 (or year 10 by US count), my father left for Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, to learn all about a new computerized typesetting system called the Mergenthaler’s Linofilm. It was a revolutionary system for setting type, not in lead ingots, but on film that could be transferred to aluminum plates for enabling offset printing. From a handful of newspapers to being able to support twenty six local and regional newspapers, it was the first such system deployed in Australia.

Translation? There was no support in-country apart from my father so every weekend I tagged along while he performed routine maintenance. But there it was again, rolls of paper tape but this time they were much wider form factors. The process was simple. Fonts and size were represented by those which when processed moved lenses and a carousel (of fonts) aligning them before a camera that shot them onto film. Little did I know at the time that the first seeds of passion were being sown!

Finishing high school I went to Sydney University to study engineering. Every one of my mother’s brothers was an engineer, civil or mechanical. However, it wasn’t to my taste and after a brief introduction to architecture, I was done. At the time, computing of any sort wasn’t considered an academic pursuit. By happenstance, I checked in to a computer aptitude test IBM was conducting at the University and as the New Year began, I was the sole candidate selected by IBM. That first seed of passion that had taken root a couple of years earlier now blossomed.

That passion has sustained me for the past five decades – yes I was still a teenager when IBM advised that I was going to join several other successful candidates from across Australia as a computing apprentice. A trade, no less! Imagine that happening in this century! For two years, I was taught everything from how to write an operating system, how to program a computer channel connecting disks, tape drives, card readers and printers. And for me the charm was learning how to store information in files and then, what passed as the beginnings of the database era as it was in 1971.


However, the passion that was to sustain me through the years fully blossomed with my time at Tandem Computers. A unique system coupled to a unique community was all that it took for me to become totally aware of decisions previously made leading me to what I am doing today. With this post I am jointly celebrating with Margo the completion of twelve years of our company, Pyalla Technologies, LLC. Yes, twelve years! Hard to believe and yet, nothing could have happened without the support from this very unique NonStop community.

Margo and I do not have a monopoly on passion when it comes to Tandem. As we continue to be active in the HPE NonStop community, we remain as passionate as ever but the same can be said for much of the community. If you need any more evidence of the community’s passion it was only a week ago that a reunion held in Silicon Valley drew a crowd from all parts of the America and beyond. Our schedule didn’t allow us to attend but photos from that reunion have begun to show up on Facebook. If you aren’t already following the group, Tandem Computers then you many want to take a second look.

As for the photos included in this post they both come courtesy of Chris Russell – can you spot familiar faces? It really does look like they have got the band back together!

My passion for computing in general was not a singular occurrence. If you missed reading my latest post to our social blog, Real Time View, you will have missed reading about the role my heritage has played in leading me to the work I now do. Just look for the post, An anniversary that has come around all too quickly. Turns out that it wasn’t just a case of my father embracing computers back in the mid-1960s but rather the fact that this made me a third generation newspaperman. Yes, I am the eldest son of the eldest son whatever that might imply. Storytelling apparently runs in the family so there really wasn’t any escaping my eventual destiny. Passion, heritage and destiny – it’s as if I can hear the opening overture to an autobiographical movie. Fortunately, that’s not going to happen. I guess you can put down to passion kicking in once again.

When it comes to IT and to NonStop there are many members of the community who are passionate about the technology into which they have immersed themselves. It would be sad to read that passion has left our industry. In the coming month all of our passions will be on display when next NonStop Technical Boot Camp (NonStopTBC22) convenes in Burlingame, California. NonStopTBC22 is sure to cover a variety of topics but perhaps this year we will witness a sea-change under way. We have written about NonStop becoming a software solution on numerous occasions but I am anticipating to see this becoming even more relevant. How about NonStop in a virtual machine that is containerized and accessible from anywhere.

In his presentation to the CTUG community last month, HPE hinted at something like this might be on the agenda. For those in IT who view today’s NonStop system as the epitome of modern servers – servers, mind you, with the industry’s best level of availability via a fault tolerance implementation that remains unmatched to this day – it could be a revelation. I can continue to speculate about what this all might mean, but like everyone else, I will just have to wait till November.

Paper tapes both narrow and wide form factors are long gone. Any desire to decode the holes punched into roles of paper tapes having truly subsided. The passing of such tangible evidence that data was present and could be touched relegated to the trash can. But the seed that was sown was not to be ignored and today, celebrating the twelfth anniversary of Pyalla Technologies and the work that together Margo and I have done and the degree to which we served the NonStop community, that is as tangible evidence of passion that can be shared.

Looking forward to seeing you all at NonStopTBC22 and if as yet you haven’t registered for this free event, make sure you take the time to do so. Sure would be a shame to miss out on seeing you – there’s still yet one more story to be told and don’t you want to be a part of that?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If it’s June then it’s time for HPE Discover 2021.

  For the NonStop community there has always been an annual event that proved hard to resist; with changing times these events are virtual – but can we anticipate change down the road? Just recently Margo and I chose to return home via US Highway 129. It may not ring any bells, but for those who prefer to call it the Tail of the Dragon – 318 curves in 11 miles – it represents the epitome of mountain excitement. For Margo and me, having now driven the tail in both directions, driving hard through all these turns never gets old. Business took us to Florida for an extended week of meetings that were mostly conversations. Not everything went to plan and we didn’t get to see some folks, but just to have an opportunity to hit the road and meet in person certainly made the 4,500 miles excursion worthwhile. The mere fact that we made touring in a roadster work for us and we were comfortable in doing so, well, that was a real trick with a car better suited to day trips. This is all just a p

Three more wishes coming soon – the path ahead for NonStop.

So, another three years have passed by and I find myself writing a preview of what I will likely focus on in eighteen months’ time – my next three wishes for NonStop! It wouldn’t be fair on my family if I said 2019 had been a routine year for Pyalla Technologies. It started with the return flight from Sydney, Australia, and continued with three separate trips to Europe plus a lengthy road trip to Las Vegas for HPE Discover 2019 combined with stops in southern California and participation in N2TUG back in Texas. The miles have added up but all the while even as the adventurous life continued to unfold, there was so much news coming out of HPE that scarcely a day passed without a discussion or two over what it all means. Margo and I have our roots firmly anchored in NonStop, dating back to Tandem Computers where Margo had risen through the development organization all the way to the COO role under the stewardship of Bill Heil when Bill headed the NonStop Software BU. As for me

ACI Strategy - it's all about choice!

I have just returned from spending a few days in Omaha attending the annual ACE Focus meeting. These two day meetings provide more in-depth technical coverage than is usually found at the regular ACI user events, and ACI customers have been coming for more than a decade to hear the messages directly from company executives. The picture I have included here is of the venue of the Wednesday night social event – a reception held at a local sports bar called the ICEHOUSE. And I found this extremely ironic as my own involvement with ACI came through my association with the ICE product. For most of the ‘90s, ACI had been the global distributor for ICE and then, as we began the new millennium, ACI purchased Insession, creating a separate business unit that it named Insession Technologies. For nearly six years, as part of ACI it enjoyed a successful partnership with the NonStop community and had provided a number of solutions in communications, web services, and security. But the decision in l